Friday, August 8, 2008

I have my first case, and I don't even know if I passed the bar yet

Don't worry, there's no unauthorized practice of law going on though, because the roommate (and therefore me by default, since I'm named on the lease as well) was sued by the landlord for unpaid rent. Which is funny, because the management company cashed our rent check a week before suing. It's really bugging me, because the attorney for the landlord has already violated the rules of professional conduct, and the rules of civil procedure, and done a few other "bad things" that I had to spend the last two months studying daily. It feels like a real life bar exam. I'm tempted to file an Answer with a counterclaim for retaliation, since not only did we pay the rent, but we had just given our one month notice that we were going to vacate the apartment. I've been tipped off by a friend who worked in a Housing Law Clinic that it's typical practice of our management company to preemptively sue tenants who are moving out for unpaid rent, then dismiss the case once the tenants pay the rent.

No comments: