Sunday, June 29, 2008

One bar exam down, one to go

This weekend I had the pleasure of taking a full length practice bar exam.  Yesterday was the essay exam, and today was the multiple choice.  I have to correct my essays on my own, and although they gave me the model answers, it's kind of hard to judge whether my mediocre answers are adequate, because the model answers include everything possible to write about in response to the question, not just the minimum requirement to pass.  The multiple choice answers were graded online, and I got a nifty score report that told me what I already knew....I don't know much about evidence.  The bar prep company told us that on this first practice exam, we should aim to get 50% of the questions correct.  I'm pleased to report that I exceeded 50%, and my score on this exam would have been exactly the minimum required to waive into D.C.

On the one hand, this makes me happy, because I still have a month to improve even more (and add a little cushion so hopefully I'll do a little better than just scrape by), but coming out of the exam, there were only about three questions that I KNEW I got right, out of 200, and it makes me nervous to feel like I guessed the answers to at least half the questions.  So, this is a good reminder for me that even if I don't feel confident after the bar exam, that doesn't mean I didn't do well.  

Now I'm going to have a practice post-bar celebration, which will involve watching television and reading a magazine.

No comments: