Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July freak-out

Apparently, it's around this time that bar exam freak-outs are pretty common.  I'll admit, I'm starting to feel a little more stressed out about the amount that I feel like I need to do to pass the bar, and how I only have a little over three weeks left to get it all done.  I'm still not completely freaked out though, because I know that no matter how much I study, I'm never going to feel "ready" for the bar.  There will always be more that I can learn before the bar, and there are most certainly going to be questions on the bar to which I don't know the answers.  This doesn't concern me that much, because in three years of law school, I have honed a skill that I developed long before I even wanted to go to law school:  the art of B.S. (which I inherited directly from my father).  If I don't know what the law is, I'm supposed to just make something up.  Surprisingly, a lot of the time, the made up law is quite similar to the real law.

Another reason that I may be less concerned about the bar is that my plans for next year are not contingent on passing the bar.  This is a good and bad thing, because I don't have to stress out about the thought of having to tell an employer that I failed the bar, but at the same time, I'm not as motivated in my studying as I would be otherwise.  I just have to keep reminding myself of the pain of filling out the huge bar application though, and the thought of having to fill it out again if I fail is enough to keep me going for a little while longer.

No comments: