Saturday, July 12, 2008

17 days, and I'm a little stressed out now

I knew I'd start stressing out about the bar at some point, and I'd actually be a little worried if I didn't start to feel the pressure.  I had another full length practice multiple choice test today, and I got six more questions right this time than I did last time, and the score was high enough again to waive into D.C.  I think with a little more practice (because I'll be honest and admit that I've only done about 15 practice multiple choice questions since doing well on the last practice test, and am quite surprised my score still improved this time around), I should be able to do at least as well on the real exam.  I felt like I'd done poorly again today, so on July 30, when I'm convinced I've failed the bar and maybe only gotten five questions right out of 200, you can remind me that how I feel isn't necessarily a good indication of my performance.  And then you can not mention the bar again until I tell you the results sometime in November.

Another thing I've learned over the course of my bar studies is that it's actually very important to take breaks.  Even though I'm an excellent procrastinator, and I can always find something I'd rather do than study, by taking frequent breaks, studying doesn't get quite as old, and I feel pretty refreshed.  One of my good law school friends, who is not taking the bar until February, had a birthday this week, so yesterday, several of us went wine-tasting in Virginia.  I was a little skeptical about switching my off-study days (according to my study schedule, I get Sundays off, so now I had Friday off, and will be studying on Sunday), since I'm starting to feel stressed.  As soon as we got to the beautiful scenery though, I completely forgot about the bar.  Well, the bar exam.  I actually walked right up to the bars at the wineries, and tried probably 30 plus wines.  Don't worry Mom and Dad, over the course of the day, that was the equivalent of maybe 2-3 glasses of wine.

Even though we only went to four different wineries, I would highly recommend Virginia wine-tasting.  I went to Napa when I was in California, and although that was also a great experience, and very beautiful, it was at least two to three times the price of tasting in Virginia, much more touristy and busy, and just larger operations.  In Virginia, the most we paid for a wine tasting was $5 to try 12 different wines, and we also got to meet and talk with the owners of two of the operations.  I think if this whole lawyer thing doesn't pan out, my dream would be to acquire some ocean-front property where it is also possible to grow grapes, and then I will make wine and have a bed and breakfast.  Of course, I'll be starting that operation under a different name so the student loan people can't find me.

No comments: