Sunday, April 6, 2008

Bar application

Now that I'm nearly finished with law school, one of the only things left standing between me and the bar exam is the bar application.  Maryland has an extremely detailed application, that wants to know where I've lived for the past ten years (Mom and Dad, if you're reading this, I'll be calling soon to double check all my information), my complete certified driving records for the past three years (which for me includes three different states), and every bank/credit/loan account that I've maintained in the past five years.  My advice to anyone considering going to law school:  Don't open that store credit card, use it for one purchase, and then close it or just stop using it.  That great discount is only going to complicate things 4 years later when you're staring at your credit report trying to figure out what's on it.  The application also requires that I depend on a lot of other personal references, past employers, my high school, and two Maryland references to fill out some forms and return them in a timely manner to the character committee.  

The final application deadline is May 20, so I'll be focusing my next few weeks on finishing up the application.  I think the complex application process is just one more way they try to weed people out.  It's almost working for me!  

No comments: